Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Big Preview Trip (or, All the Pressure’s on ME)

Day 1:

I’m sitting on an airplane right now in a cramped and tiny seat (of course.) The old lady in front of me has her seat so far back that it makes my laptop screen tilt down. But she’s sitting upright. Anyway, that’s not the point. I’m headed to NewCity to check things out. See, as things stand right now, we’re for sure moving there but we have no place to live. I thought we’d just rent a place and then look for a house once we got there, but P thought it would be a good idea for me to take a preview trip. So I booked it. Part of the plan was for me to meet with a realtor and get an idea of what’s available. Good idea. Here comes the big but. BUT, now P thinks I can find a place on my trip. Uh, no pressure. We’re going to be homeless, dear, unless you find us a house this weekend. It better be a good one too. What if I pick the wrong one? I see so many ways this can be all my fault.

*

If you know where I’m going, please don’t tell me to bring my warm clothes. I’m aware that it will be cold. I’m aware that it will be a big change. I will survive.

I will, however, be asking dumb questions later on. I know there’s a lot that I don’t know about living in the cold and snow. (example: when I was going through P’s things after the wedding and I was moving in I found this plastic stick thing with a brush on it. Apparently it’s an ice scraper. Who knew? I like my ice blended and in a margarita. Or cubed in a margarita.)

So, I’m sure there are things I’ll need to know. But the fact that it will be cold and I should bring my jacket and gloves is not one of them.

More to come…

No comments: