Saturday, February 25, 2006

Busy, Part 2

An adoption situation came up about a month ago that made us re-think precisely how we want to pursue becoming parents. Unfortunately, after completely re-evaluating our situation and deciding to take a chance on something we wouldn’t have considered before, the situation became unavailable. I am a little surprised at how disappointed I was. I knew it was a long shot, but once someone tells you that you may be a parent, it would seem that logic and good reasoning take a backseat to your heart. Or at least that’s how it felt.

So we talked. And talked. And P came to the conclusion that he’d had enough talk. With the move coming up we aren’t really in a position to act on any plan we settle on, so he’d just as soon not discuss it at all. I think he’s tired of feeling helpless. So we’ve been largely baby-discussion-free the whole month of February. No fertility stuff, no adoption questions, nothing. Damn, that was hard. But I think I understand where he’s coming from, and I’m glad I could grant him that break.



Then my verybestfriend had her third child. Second since P and I have been trying.

I just couldn’t write about it all then.

Some way or another, we better be in a different place soon.

3 comments:

Bike Drool said...

Think long and hard about adopting; especially if you are adopting internationally!

Liv said...

That is a really asinine comment.While I'm sure it was meant with good intentions, it just lacks substance. Adopting is not a flipant decision to make.
Twirl, adopting is difficult. So is trying to conceive and enduring infertility treatments. Whatever way you and P become parents there will be hurdles. Parenting is also worth it.

Cat, Galloping said...

who the heck is that guy?

I'm sorry for the disappointment. That word seems too mild to describe what you must have felt. I'm glad that you guys are open to alternate possibile paths to parenthood, though, even if you are on a break from talking about them. However you get there, it will be worth it. Does that sound trite?