Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Dragonfruit, or "Look at the pretty colors!"

I really liked the Capri-Sun Big Pouch, "Dragonfruit" flavor. I had never heard of a dragonfruit, but I assumed it was some sort of made-up name like "mountain cooler" or something, and that the name didn't really reflect the origins of the juice.

I was wrong! I saw one in the store the other day and it was so interesting looking.

This is a dragonfruit:



The outside feels smooth and rubbery, and has those freaky-looking green flaps all around it. They're smooth too, although the fruit is firm (not mushy) to the touch.

This is what it looks like on the inside:





I love the vibrant purple color, and I found myself staring at the pretty fruit!


It was easy to slice through because the center is the consistency of a kiwi. It feels sort of grainy, but in a smooth way. There are tons of seeds, which bother me because I hate eating seeds. Although I was reluctant to dig into it because it was so pretty, P and I had a taste. He thought it was awful and said it tasted like flowers (dandelions, to be exact) and that was the end of that (and in my head, I immediately thought that he would not make it on Lost. As if that has any relevance to anything.) I wasn't quite as sure. It took me several bites to determine that I didn't really like the taste either. I did not taste flowers, but I do have that seed problem. It was not at all as flavorful as a Capri-Sun. Maybe if it was refrigerated. And in a pouch. With added flavors and sugar and whatever else they put in those.

I'm glad I bought it though, because that was the most fun I've ever had cutting a piece of fruit in half!

No comments: