Tuesday, August 21, 2007

nesting

I like things clean and I love to organize. I have always believed that I'd be a prime candidate to go crazy nesting, but I didn't think it would start this early.

I live in a house with a full basement. Much to my neighbors' shock, it is nearly empty. We have a washer and dryer down there and on one short wall there are some neatly stacked boxes. Mostly holiday stuff, teaching supplies, and books. When we got a new couch, we didn't put the old one down in the basement. When we began to clear out the baby's room, we found a new home for the futon (guest bed) in another room. Being basement newbies, we didn't even realize how much garage stuff could really be basement stuff until last winter. Now the basement is the winter home of P's bicycle and two garden hoses. So you see, we are a curiosity around these parts to those who've always had basements and delighted in filling them with crap. I, on the other hand, am feeling the pressure to get rid of stuff.

I loathe holding yard/garage sales. How much is this? A quarter. Will you take 15 cents? UGH. But it is a good way to get rid of things, and I find myself wanting to take advantage of the end of summer and get rid of some things we don't need. I've considered craigslist, but for some reason that seems like even more work. But I have a million precious moments that are just taking up space in a closet (I collected them once upon a time, but haven't really been interested in them for several years now.) And then there's the microwave that's brand new but hasn't been used in two moves and the baker's rack that doesn't fit in the kitchen, but doesn't match my dining room, and the extra tv set... Too. Much. Stuff.

So I've been thinking about the organization stuff for a while now, but being on light duty, there's not much I can do but plan and obsess. On Saturday I decided that I could no longer stand the dirty carpet in the living room and began to give it a good once over with the vacuum (very carefully, of course) but it wasn't good enough. It looked like there was a lot of dog hair and dirt in the canister, so I took that apart and cleaned it. And then went to work to remove the inner filter and cleaned that. Then I got an exacto knife out and used it to cut away any dog hair left in the brush on the bottom, but couldn't get it clean enough. So I found a screwdriver and took the bottom of the vacuum apart so that I could clean it. Yes, folks, I took apart and cleaned my vacuum this weekend. Heaven help the person who turns off the ceiling fans because I know they're filthy and I have this urge...

I'm also wanting to change my blogger template. I don't feel like fussing with it myself at this point (which is why you have seen no changes) but you just never know.

And I still have 12 weeks to go.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If this keeps up by the time the baby comes you will be able to show your house on Mission Organization. Or have it staged to sell 'over asking price'.

BigP's Heather said...

feel free to come on over to my house and get out all those "urges"...my house sure could use it.

Liv said...

I had several Cherished Teddies figurines that I had collected for about 4 years. I kind of grew out of them, but there are still stories attached to them. They also don't fit in with my decor. So, I kept a few special ones in my curio cabinet, I gave Dani all the ones with her birthstone on it, and I packed up the rest of them and they are in the attic.

I plan on giving them to Dani when she gets older if she likes them. So, maybe handing down your figurines may be something you want to do in the future.

Angie said...

Goodness, your house is going to look wonderful by the time your baby comes! I plan on rearranging the bathroom closet today, it was bothering me big time yesterday.

GLouise said...

Wow--I am impressed!!!

Anonymous said...

You have a basement and we don't even have a coat closet. Hmmph! I'm so jealous.

The good thing is, the lack of storage space makes me a dedicated purger.