Saturday, July 28, 2007

on gender

I've had this post in my head for weeks now, but haven't been able to actually write it out. With all the gender hoopla (crappy ultrasound day, impossible positioning, not being able to find out, being disappointed about that,etc.) I really wanted to put my feelings aside for a while on that subject. Partly because I don't want to be obsessed about gender and partly, if I'm honest, I don't want to be seen as overly concerned about it to others.

Here's the gist: I've been asked if I have a gender preference by many people and I always say that I don't. And that's the truth. I went back and forth many times thinking that I'd LOVE a boy or that I REALLY want a girl and I couldn't make up my mind. Then I came to the realization that I WIN EITHER WAY! I like telling people that.

Anyway, I was going to write all about my feelings on each and why and all this other crap, but the truth is, now that I know that this baby is a girl I can't make myself finish writing it all out. That's what happens when you let posts roll around in your head for too long. Now I can't even remember all that I wanted to say because my brain has been taken over by someone else and all I can think about is pink things and little dresses.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

i like your responce to the sex question. i have already been asked what i would like to have and i am only 5 freaking weeks along. geeze! i guess folks are just trying to make conversation. hope you don't mind if i steal your responce. :)

Cat, Galloping said...

wheee! a girl! i'd have said the same thing the other way around, of course, because both are great and it's just so much fun knowing. i think it makes it so much more real. yay, glad she finally cooperated! :)

people are idiots to ask which you prefer, or to say what they prefer. i was so uncomfortable when i was at my friend's shower when pregnant with gatito (we were due 1 week apart) and everyone gasped and asked me if the honoree was jealous that i was having a boy, since she'd wanted one but was having a girl. if one is disappointed, fine, i guess you can't control the way you feel, but why'd she tell so many people?!

Anonymous said...

Yea! A little girl....Have fun looking at all the frilly pink stuff. :)

Furrow said...

Well, you slipped in that information rather slyly, didn't you?

I like your reaction to the question. Who would dare state a preference, anyway, when it could come out the other way? I would never ask anyone what they prefer. I assume we all just hope for healthy, happy babies.

But, with that said.... Yippee! girl! Girls are gonna take over the world this year!

Anonymous said...

Yeah for a girl! How exciting!

Ms. Perky said...

Whoo hoo for girls! (though, like the others, I would have said the same about boys!) I haven't any preference whatsoever about my triplets... I know my life will be upside down no matter what "flavors" they are! (though I joke that having three girls would be a travesty once they became teenagers!)

Angie said...

A beautiful little girl! Congrats!

Sarah said...

it is SO fun looking at all the little girl stuff--little pink things i NEVER thought i'd be excited about. my brain has definitely been taking over ny someone else too.

raw said...

That's pretty exciting news!!! She finally let them figure out what she was, huh?? Well, good. And I am so glad you are beyond 24 weeks. It's getting closer and closer. I am so happy for you. Have fun with all of your baby shopping!