Thursday, October 23, 2008

We (ok, I) voted "NO" on the first birthday sugar coma

If you know of any good cake (or possibly bread) recipes appropriate for a baby (or, *sniff* toddler) feel free to share.  

I do have access to google, and can search myself, so I'm really just looking for recipes YOU have had personal experience with (as opposed to random links you've found.)

Apple is a strong favorite here, and though I'm hoping to limit sugar and eggs, using them minimally will be fine.

Thanks!

3 comments:

Furrow said...

Sorry. Sugar is sacred in my family. Good luck.

Rachel said...

Were doing real cake for LG, but my friend who is a dietitian and does all things healthy used an oatmeal cake for her kids. I used her recipe for another friend, it comes out like a dense bread but is very tasty. It is not sugar free, but I'll send the recipe your way anyway.

Rachel said...

Oatmeal Cake

Pour
1 1/4c. boiling water
over
1 c. rolled oats
let stand 20 minutes

Stir together:
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Cream together:
1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Add 2 eggs to creamed mixture
Add dry ingredients
Add oatmeal mixture

Pour into pan and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

I used a 3D care bear pan and I seem to remember that it took longer than 45 minutes to bake, but I don't remember how long. She gave me the recipe over the phone, and I was already doing the bear cake, so I didn't write down the pan size that should be used. I would probably divide it into 2, round pans.

I don't have a good sugar free icing recipe, but if you make the oatmeal cake. Hope this helps.