Sunday, November 18, 2007

And this is why I don't call.

Thank you all for indulging my crankiness and neediness!

I took a fall this morning. Not a big one, just two steps, but I fell onto concrete and it hurt! Now, I assumed that this was not an emergency, but didn't know if it was something you're supposed to call the doctor about or wait or what. My main concern (other than DBTs, obviously) was that I'd miss some sign and assume it was "normal pregnancy" or a "normal early labor" thing and then be wrong. Was I sore because I'm always sore or because I fell? Are those early labor or pre-labor cramps or are they the placenta detaching from the uterus? What signs, specifically, should I be looking for as problematic? Anyway, I decided to call the doctor since I got yelled at (ok, not yelled at exactly, but shamed maybe) the last time something happened and I didn't call.

The answering service very helpfully informed me that if it was an emergency she could page the doctor or I could go to the ER and that if it wasn't I could call back tomorrow. See, that's my point. I don't know if this is an immediate thing or not. So, she paged the doc for me and he called back and told me that this is basically not a big deal as the uterus is a very good cushion (which I knew) and I didn't take any real impact on it, and to call back if the baby isn't moving.

I felt like a dumbass, so if you could indulge me one more time and tell me that I did the right thing by calling, that would be great.

7 comments:

Cat, Galloping said...

of course you did the right thing! a call to the dr is no big deal, and now you don't have to worry about it.

i *always* called. if something went wrong, i never wanted to look back and wish i'd done something differently, you know?

BigP's Heather said...

Always call. Always.

Like you said, you didn't know what to look for. That is why they are the doctors - they get paid to inform you.

It isn't like baking cookies and calling Martha Stewart to make sure you copied down the recipe right...this is your miracle.

There is no limit to taking care of your child.

Anonymous said...

Of course you did the right thing in calling. Your OB is being paid a large fee. In exchange for that he or his PA/nurse weighs you and measures the fundas and says "see you next month, in two week or next week depending upon the trimester. He then catches the baby when it is born. A lot of money for little work. I guess the cash is for his expertise, so why shouldn't you be asking his expertise about falls, etc. Get your money's worth, girl and set your mind at ease. Here's hoping it is not too much longer. Thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Jamie said...

I never know when to call either...

It is always better to call though. Who cares if it isn't a big deal -- what if it WAS? Too much is at stake to risk it.

You definitely did the right thing!

Irish Girl said...

I would have called. No question. You did the right thing!

Angie said...

I would have called too.

Furrow said...

Absolutely right to call. I was bad about not calling about things, but I would have called if I'd fallen.

I didn't realize you'd reached your due date. I understand your anxiety. I was all cool and calm and telling people that I fully expected to go late -- until I did. Then I felt all panicky. It happens.