Friday, June 08, 2007

I wish I could tell you about...

... my placenta, but I can't because the tech wouldn't measure the placement of it. She just said, "it's fine, it'll move." How very helpful. Yes, I know most DO move, but my doctor wanted a better measurement. And I'd love to be off pelvic rest, but that won't happen until the doctor is satisfied that the placenta has grown far enough away from my cervix.

... my fibroid. Remember my fibroid? It was so tiny that no one ever worried about it. In fact, during my lap, the RE didn't think it was even worth messing with because it was so small. Of course now it is big, obvious, and growing. The tech's response, "2cm isn't that big." Ok, I know how big 2cm is. I'm not a moron. I also know that the fibroid was formerly measured in mm because it was so small. Yesterday it was the first thing visible on the screen. I'm thinking this is not a big deal, but the attitude was not appreciated.

... the gender of my baby, but I can't because the tech refused to look. She said "the baby is too small" (I think we all know that's not true) and then she said "the legs and feet were in the way." But she said all this as she was shutting the scan down. She didn't even try. She had no intention of ever looking.

... how exciting it was to have my "big" ultrasound. Because it was exciting. Or at least the parts where I could see the baby were exciting. Beautiful brain, heart, bones, kidneys, stomach, cord. So happy about that. But it was sort of overshadowed by the negative undertones I was getting from the tech. She was ticked that I came with a retrieval date and a due date, but that I wouldn't tell her my LMP because I did IVF. She was ticked because I was there at 17 weeks. She was snippy to P when he made a comment about the baby's heartbeat being high (it was 160 again. We know this isn't high for a fetus, but compared to OURS it is. And if 150 is mid-range, 160 is higher than that, so pfft.) She wouldn't look for gender and she was trying to get us out of there as quickly as possible (which she did, it was less than 30 minutes.) She was snippy with me when I noticed that the baby was sucking ITs thumb and blah, blah, blah...

Obviously she has lost the thrill for her job. You'd think she could muster up a tiny bit of excitement for people who were excited to see their baby. I think she ought to go do kidney ultrasounds or something where she doesn't have to talk to people so much.

I almost didn't post this because it seems ungrateful and whiny (again!) and I know there are many of you who would happily have an ultrasound with Attila the Hun if it meant a healthy, normal baby. So I'm really sorry. It's hard to deal with infertility guilt on top of pregnancy hormones. I wish the appointment wasn't a letdown, but I guess my expectations were too high.

The baby looks great, measuring healthy and normal. That's the part I'm trying to focus on.

8 comments:

Furrow said...

Wow. That does sound like a disapointing u/s, especially for the "big one." Will you be having another very soon? I'm eagerly counting down to next Thursday when I get my big one. I hope it's not like this. Perhaps I should adjust my expectations.

It's not wrong for you to be disappointed, especially when you consider what you've been through to get here.

Sarah said...

wow, that totally sucks. you have every right to be disappointed. and i think anyone reading, pregnant or still trying, will understand why it's worth complaining about. we all hope to have a fabby u/s experience one day.

i'm very glad to hear everything looked good though. congratulations on your healthy baby!!

BigP's Heather said...

What a HEIFER!! You should totally rat her out to her supervisor! She shouldn't be that way. I understand everyone has bad days, but she should have been more professional.

I would be really disappointed too, Sweetie. You came a long way to get to this point and it is exciting and I'm sorry she was a witch and was not nice.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure Attila gives shitty u/s. Whine away.

LJ said...

Nothing else I can say but:
What a bitch.

I'm so sorry hon, that's really uncool of her.

OHN said...

Some unsolicited assvice--tell the doc about her behavior and lack of sensitivity. Trust me, the doc would rather know. You wouldn't believe how many patients leave a practice because of sucky staff. Doc needs to know. Don't be shy, he/she will thank you.

twirl said...

ohn- thanks for the advice (and lots of times I'd agree with you!) but this was in the hospital and not one of the doctors' staff.

I will be bringing (some of) it up with my doctor at my next appointment if for no other reason than we didn't get a new placenta measurement.

Angie said...

Your U/S sounds disappointing to me. What a crude tech. You're right, maybe she should get out of this field. I am glad however, to hear that everything looked fine with the baby. That is GREAT news! I hope you get to go back soon!